ONION DATE TART WITH BLUE CHEESE
Onion Date Jam
- 1/4 Cup (50g) Olive Oil
- 4 Cups (568g/about 2 medium onions) Sweet, White or Yellow Onions, diced
- 1 Cup (132g before pitted/122g after pitted) Khalas Dates
- 1/2 Tsp Salt, more if needed
- 5 or 6 Sprigs (7g) Fresh Thyme
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Date Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 3 to 4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry, thawed in the fridge overnight
- 4 to 5 oz Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Prepared Onion Date Jam (above)
- 1 Large Egg (egg wash)
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Date Syrup
Onion Date Jam
Add olive oil, onions, dates, fresh thyme and salt to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions and dates soften, about 10 to 15 minutes.Remember to stir periodically so your onions do not burn
Add date syrup and water and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the jam becomes a deep dark color and the mixture thickens
Add red wine vinegar and cook for an additional 2 minutes. At this point you can adjust your seasoning to your liking, by adding more salt or vinegar.
Remove and discard thyme sprigs. If you’ll be using it right away, transfer to a bowl and leave on the counter to cool down. If you’ll be using it later on, transfer to an airtight jar/container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Unfold or unroll your thawed puff pastry. You can make 2 large tarts, create little individual tarts or a bunch of mini ones. It’s up to you!
- Transfer the puff pastry to 2 parchment lined baking pans, making sure they are at least 2 inches apart
- Using a small paring knife, score a small border along the edge of your tarts, making sure not to cut through
- Next, randomly pierce the bottom of each tart with a fork
- Make your egg wash by whisking, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water together
- Brush the border of each tart with the egg wash.
- Spoon your prepared Onion Date Jam onto your tarts, making sure to leave the border jam-free. Depending on how large your tart is, spread a few tablespoons of the jam onto the tart.
- Crumble some blue cheese on top. Keep in mind that you’ll be garnishing with extra blue cheese right before serving.
- Pop the tarts in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up
- While the tarts are chilling, preheat the oven to 400ºF (205ºC). Then bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the tarts are golden brown.
- To serve, garnish with more blue cheese crumbles, arugula, walnuts and a drizzle of date syrup. Enjoy!
Recipe from Short Stack Kitchen
Be the first to receive updates on new arrivals, special promos and sales.