D’VASH “CARAMEL" POPCORN
For the popcorn
1/2 cup corn (un-popped)
2 tsp oil
For the caramel
1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered jaggery
1/4 cup D’vash Date Nectar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
Popping the corn
- Heat a heavy-bottom wide pan, add oil, when the oil heat ups, add the corn and close the pan with a lid. Reduce the flame to simmer.
- The popping will start and once it starts to slow down and almost no popping for 2/3 seconds, then switch off the flame and let it sit for another 5 seconds covered.
- Remove lid
Making the Caramel
- Remove the popped corn into two separate baking sheets, i used two large aluminum takeaway pans.
- In the same pan which i made popcorn, i made the caramel too. To the hot pan, add butter, jaggery and D’vash Date Nectar. Stir well. Reduce the flame to simmer.
- It will thicken immediately. When butter melts completely. The sauce will become of pouring consistency all brown and slippery. Remove it from flame. Add vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. The sauce would foam a bit after adding baking soda. Stir well.
- Carefully using tongs, take the pan and divide the sauce among the two baking trays of popcorn. To achieve even pouring, use a ladle and pour in a wiggly fashion once horizontally and again vertically. Toss and Mix well or use a ladle to evenly coat the popcorn.
- Preheat the oven to 100C (250F), bake the popcorn for an hour, taking out after every 15 minutes and mixing them well.
- After an hour of baking, let them cool completely in the tray, by this time, they will be non-sticky and you will hear nice crunchy sound when tossed in the tray.
- Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container.
Be the first to receive updates on new arrivals, special promos and sales.